Sunday, January 23, 2011

That's Amore










Have you ever had a weekend that seemed to nourish your soul? Right now as I am lying in bed reflecting on my weekend and absentmindedly watching Sex and The City I am able to really appreciate the past weekend. I was alone with a book and episodes of Criminal Minds, that I had been recording all week. There were bubble baths, plot twists, and chocolate... it was perfect. Saturday night a couple of my friends come over and we decided to make a pizza from scratch along with a chocolate cake. After we finished our pizza we wandered out for coffee and to stop by an old friends bon fire. I did something odd at the coffee shop, well at least it was odd for me. I ordered a hot chocolate rather than my typical coffee. Did I mention it had marshmallows? This is a step. A monumental step. I let myself enjoy something without obsessing about the fact that I was drinking liquid calories. I didn't even put up a fight when the barista accidentally made it with whole milk. I simply took the steaming chocolate filled delight and savored its heavenly aroma and pure taste. It was in that moment that I think everything clicked. For years I have been saying never deprive yourself and you can can have whatever you want in moderation, I don't think it was until this moment in my life that I actually did there was always that little voice in the back of my head going "you could have an apple instead." It felt good to control the hot chocolate and not vis versa and while for years I may have thought I had a handle on my eating I realize now I was wrong; I was being judged by the most harsh person I've ever met, myself. I think this is the first major change I've noticed and that I need to get accustomed with. At the end of the day food should be for pleasure not fuel and while there are a multitude of healthy alternatives to make your food scrumptious I think we should all remember that there is nothing wrong with the occasional hot chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment